Impact Investing Ghana seeks a Senior Policy and Research Officer, a senior team member, who leads Impact Investing Ghana’s Research and Policy advocacy and engagement work including the Ghana Impact Investing Research Industry Collaborative (GIIRIC). He/She should have the experience to lead the creation of high-quality research and analysis, facilitate consultations with industry to arrive at policy positions, build relationships with key senior stakeholders across government, academia, and industry and represent the GIIRIC and IIGh and its relevant action groups and collaboratives in public events and meetings to enable policy action to build a thriving ecosystem for Impact Investing and innovation.
Reporting to: Chief Executive Officer
Deadline: 19/01/2023, however applications will be viewed on a rolling basis so early applicants will have an advantage.
Compensation: Competitive based on experience
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work closely with the CEO and research partners to conduct research to develop the field of impact investing and carry out original research and analysis; draft op-eds, background papers, substantive analytical and issue papers, talking points, speeches, policy statements, briefs, and other advocacy products; reflective of IIGh’s views and policy priorities, to support decision-making and the work of action groups, collaboratives and other structures of IIGh and in response to government consultations and proposed or actual policy action.
- Foster research-industry collaboration through running and building sustainable structures for the Ghana Impact Investing Research Industry Collaborative which brings together researchers, businesses, financial institutions, government, and international donors to collaborate and share research needs and existing research in entrepreneurship, product development, innovation and finance.
- Engage key stakeholders needed to drive increased research and industry collaboration and recruit them as supporters or members of the collaborative.
- Organise and lead workshops and a collaborative process with the Research-Industry Collaborative to develop and implement a plan of action to continue to increase research uptake by industry and undertake research relevant to the industry by researchers.
- Identify opportunities to develop relevant collaborative research projects and contribute to research and fundraising proposals.
- Maintain awareness and knowledge of research literature related to impact investing and research/industry collaboration, analyse local and international reports and policies that impact the growth of impact investing in Ghana and develop policy positions and products that relate to the promotion of impact investing and IIGh’s objectives.
- Represent IIGh at priority external forums, events, networks and with priority stakeholders to promote agreed policy positions.
- Other tasks as assigned
Qualifications and Skills
- A competent researcher, with a good understanding of practical research methods, and the ability to use a range of research techniques at a high standard.
- Good people skills and effective relationship management and influencing skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent facilitation skills to lead workshops and collaborative discussions that include a wide range of stakeholders,
- A deep knowledge of Ghana’s policy setting and social issues.
- An ability to design policy projects that align with organizational strategy and support effective advocacy.
- Five or more years of work experience with a track record of consistently delivering projects on time and at a high quality.
- Collaborative leader and excellent team player. Able to work well with others and create a fun and positive work environment even under time pressure
- Minimum of a Master’s degree.
- Experience in developing policy briefs and programs to influence government policy or industry action will be an advantage
About Impact Investing Ghana
Impact Investing Ghana (IIGh) works to build a thriving ecosystem for impact investing in Ghana. Impact Investing, that is investments that are made to generate a measurable social and environmental impact alongside financial returns, are essential for Ghana’s development. IIGh is Ghana’s representative to the Global Steering Group for Impact Investing and is a local platform representing all the stakeholder groups needed to redirect significant capital flows toward social and environmental impact. IIGh has an ambitious plan to support the growth of impact ventures and to catalyze $ 1 billion in impact funds for investment in SMEs in Ghana and the West African sub-region prioritizing areas such as reducing underemployment and unemployment, reducing inequality gaps, and addressing climate and environmental issues. We deliver relevant research, drive collaboration in the ecosystem, and the creation of collaborative projects such as https://dealsourceafrica.co/, the Ghana Enterprise Support Organisation Collaborative https://esoghana.org/, the Ghana Angel Investor Network, and the Ghana Research Industry Impact Investing Collaborative among others.